Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fried Chicken

This is chicken fried like my mother and her mother fried chicken. I like to use thighs, as did James Beard. Here is the recipe my daughter wrote for a school project:

Fried Chicken

Ingredients
6 skin on chicken thighs
1 cup all purpose flour
Peanut oil (for frying)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper


Directions

In a one-gallon Ziploc, mix the flour, pepper, and salt. Add the chicken, seal the bag, and coat the chicken in the mixture by tossing it around in the bag. Meanwhile, in a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil to 350 degrees. When the oil is hot, add the flour-coated chicken to the skillet skin side down. Fry, checking often, until skin is golden brown. Turn chicken over and cook for 20 minutes total. Remove chicken from skillet and drain extra oil on a plate lined with paper towels.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

This is a favorite family recipe that is my grandmother’s recipe handed down to my dad, who uses the same skillet my grandmother used to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment